17 Days in the Gulf of Mexico

In July 2010 I was a National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Teacher at Sea. I spent 17 days aboard the NOAA ship Oregon II, working on the SEAMAP Summer Groundfish Survey in the Gulf of Mexico. Here's my story.

Monday, July 19, 2010

Back Home


We steamed home from the western Gulf to Pascagoula, around the Mississippi Delta, from Friday to Saturday. We saw lots of oil rigs, but no sign of oil in the water.


After 17 days at sea it was nice to be back on land. Teachers at Sea was a hands-on, total-immersion learning experience, unlike anything I've ever done before. I learned an amazing amount about the Gulf, the marine ecosystem, about how to do science at sea, and what it's like to live on a ship. You can't get that from a book, a video, a website or even a blog like this. You just have to get out there and do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment