17 Days in the Gulf of Mexico

In July 2010 I was a National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration Teacher at Sea. I spent 17 days aboard the NOAA ship Oregon II, working on the SEAMAP Summer Groundfish Survey in the Gulf of Mexico. Here's my story.

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Getting Ready to Sail

In two weeks I’ll be pushing off from Galveston, Texas on board the NOAA ship Oregon II to participate in a groundfish survey to assess the stocks of bottom dwelling species in the Gulf of Mexico. The government uses this data to regulate the fisheries in order to promote healthy stocks of different species and long term economic growth in the fishing industry. I’m not yet sure exactly what my daily responsibilities will be, but I’ll be working under the direction of the ship’s Chief Scientist to help with operations that might include trawls, bongos, neustons, and CTDs. The survey will be conducted from Galveston, Texas to Pascagoula, Mississippi over the course of 16 days. I’m looking forward to learning a lot and seeing conditions in the Gulf. More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment